About Pineground Bridge
Bridges, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Bridges
The Pineground Bridge, also known as the Depot Road Bridge or the Thunder Bridge, is a through-type lenticular truss bridge that formerly carried Depot Road over the Suncook River in Chichester, New Hampshire. The bridge was built in 1887 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co., and is the only one of its type (and only one of for lenticular truss bridges of any type, as of 2004) in the state. It is 96 feet (29 m) long and 16 feet (4.9 m) wide, and rises 15 feet (4.6 m) above the river. It is mounted on abutments made of unmortarted ashlar granite. The decking and rails are made of wood. The bridge has not undergone major alterations since its construction. Some of its stringers were replaced during the 1981-2 restoration, wooden parts were also replaced, and a number of decorative parts have been lost over the years.